Friday, February 12, 2010

At the Capitol

MPhA Legislative Day on Tuesday went great. As people came to the morning session we handed them a name badge, a card reminding them of their appointments and a folder with two sets of issue briefs to pass along to their legislators. Of the 50 or so meetings I set up only a handful needed to be changed. That morning the Senate called a floor session. This made it more difficult for some senators to meet although many did so outside the Senate chamber. In the State Office Building I spoke with attendees about their meetings. Many were pleased with the experience and were able to tie legislators’ experiences to some of the issues MPhA brought forth.

Meeting with my representative went great, I had the full 15 minute block and she was very receptive to both the pharmaceutical waste and Medicaid reimbursement issues. Although I only meet with my senator for 5 minutes outside the Senate chamber, she too gave me her full attention and was easy to talk with. All in all I estimate we had somewhere around 70-75 interactions with legislators that day. After coordinating those appointments I have a newfound respect for the time management juggle legislators must do. They are obviously busy people but enjoy meeting with constituents whenever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment