Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Connections

Life at MPhA in the last two weeks has exploded and I feel I’ve been running around in a constant state of urgency.  Committee meetings, hearing deadlines, unexpected bill introductions, and APhA are at the root of this but I’m coming to understand a lot more about policy and how sociopolitical interactions have a heavy hand in the on-goings of the Capitol.  I will try to briefly summarize my revelations:
  1. MPhA has a really strong presence at the Capitol.  Anything pharmacy related often is associated with MPhA and Senators and Representatives do not hesitate in contacting MPhA for help on pharmacy-related issues.  Having such strong relationships at the Capitol means we can create change and I’ve witnessed it personally.  On March 18th the Health Care and Human Services Finance Committee unanimously passed the Medicaid reimbursement bill (HF 3266).  It was partly due to our great relationships with these key people. 
  2. Anyone can help introduce a bill. I mean anyone, if you have an idea for change, you can make it happen.  To ensure the process works, it helps to have the right people on your side to support you.  You need people to help you understand the financial, logistical, legal, and clinical implications of your bill in order to ensure that it is wholesome and, to the best of your ability, without fault.  Not to mention, there is strength in numbers.
  3. As much as I hate to admit it, you do have to rub elbows with the right people.  I’ve encountered some ‘you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours’ attitudes and although not always appropriate, it is a game you have to play if not just to benefit your agenda but also to avoid setbacks.   Despite what you believe to be most correct, you end up compromising sometimes to get ahead and sometimes to lessen the damage.
  4. The beauty of policy is it’s not really set in stone, sometimes it takes a little more muscle to break down the rock but eventually it can change.  Sometimes change can only occur little by little but you are constantly adding and taking away to ensure it is the best policy.
So that’s that, two weeks of MPhA boiled down to a couple paragraphs.  I could probably ramble on but I won’t. 

Don’t forget to contact your Senator and Representative about the Medicaid Reimbursement bill (HF 3266/ SF 3146), we’d like them to include it in their omnibus bill so reimbursement can be restored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment