Friday, July 30, 2010

The End of Five Weeks

Today marks the end of my 5-week stint here at MPhA.  Reflecting back upon my impressions coming into this rotation, I find that I have gained so much more knowledge and experience than I ever anticipated.  The breadth of opportunities during these 5 weeks has unquestionably enhanced my pharmacy school experience and has opened my eyes to career options that I previously hadn’t considered.  And the learning has continued to the very end, with several new and valuable experiences from this week.

After last week’s whirlwind traveling pharmacy tours, this week has been much more settled.  My time in the office was spent reflecting upon last week’s visits, reading and analyzing model MTM legislation, learning about federal drug disposal legislation, and reviewing a Patient-Centered Primary Care Collaborative document about the importance of comprehensive medication management in medical home models.  On Wednesday, Mark and I were able to meet with a pharmacist who is planning to open an independent pharmacy.  And today, Julie, Mark and I met with two representatives from Merck to discuss issues relating to pharmacy, such as pharmacy’s place in the medical home model, issues with e-prescribing, and how to better enable pharmacists to immunize patients.

The meeting with Merck, model MTM legislation, and PCPCC document all illustrated the valuable role that pharmacists have to play in the management of chronic conditions.  In this era of health care reform, some pharmacists are concerned that pharmacy will somehow be left out of the new medical home models.  This concern is legitimate given that pharmacists are continually striving to demonstrate how we can further enhance health care.  However, the information I came across shows that many other health care providers and legislators are beginning to realize that health care change cannot succeed without the integral contributions of pharmacists.  It seems that as long as pharmacists keep up with the issues and keep talking to legislators and other providers, there is no question that pharmacy will play a big role in bettering the health care system.

Throughout this rotation, I have been exposed to many aspects of independent pharmacy ownership.  I have seen and heard about many of the challenges that owners are being faced with.  These challenges made me question whether it is feasible to open a new pharmacy now.  Wednesday’s meeting with an entrepreneurial pharmacist was eye-opening because it demonstrated that with enough preparation and a solid business plan, opening a pharmacy today is not only feasible, but can be very profitable.  This meeting made me realize that as long as you have a niche and have a plan for making the most of that niche, it is still very possible to start an independent pharmacy, even in the metro area.  That being said, such an endeavor requires a certain personality and certain talents that not all pharmacists possess.

Overall, this rotation has been a fantastic way to start my fourth year of pharmacy school.  The experiences I have had with MPhA broadened my horizons in ways that the rest of the curriculum cannot.  This rotation has taught me to see how different aspects of pharmacy are interconnected with one another and with health care in general, and I believe this insight can only help me make the most of my remaining rotations.  Thanks to Julie and the rest of the MPhA staff for a great 5 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment