Thursday, July 15, 2010

Week Three

The conclusion of week 3 is fast approaching, and this week’s schedule was again filled with varied experiences.  Monday started off with an MPhA staff meeting where the main topic of discussion was reflection regarding the recent Annual Meeting.  Staff discussed the venue, logistical concerns, and some feedback from attendees in an effort to identify opportunities for improvement.  I know that when I attend meetings, I don’t always take the time to write comments or fill out surveys.  But I can tell you from firsthand experience that your input is appreciated, valued, and taken into consideration!

Mark and I listened in on a conference call with the National Community Pharmacists Association.  NCPA leadership discussed important national bills that would affect community pharmacy practice, and urged pharmacists from various states to contact their legislators about these issues.  Prior to this experience, I was not aware that pharmacy organizations from all 50 states came together regularly to discuss important issues.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear that these organizations share information and have a genuine interest in helping one another to improve pharmacy nationally.

We ended Monday by attending a fundraiser for Rep. Paul Thissen of district 63A.  Thissen has been a longtime friend of pharmacy and really seems to understand pharmacy issues and how legislation around pharmacy can have very broad impacts on businesses, individuals, and health care.  Meeting with Thissen also impressed upon me how it really isn’t intimidating to meet with elected officials.  I think many students, pharmacists, and individuals can feel intimidated by the office, but it’s important to realize that without constituents like us, these “regular people” would never be elected.

The rest of the week, Mark and I visited 3 more independent pharmacies, met with marketing executives to discuss using CEs as a method to get the AWARxE word out, sat in on a technician academy meeting, and researched some of the issues surrounding the use of antibiotics in livestock.  As you can see, our plates have been full with many different issues and opportunities.  I continue to be grateful for all these different experiences, and I’m really looking forward to learning more about rural pharmacy next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment