Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Welcome Resident Smith

Greetings MPhA members! I am writing as the newest addition to the Resident Blog – another PharmD IV student from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities campus.  My name is Stephanie Smith, born and raised in Minnetonka, MN.  I completed 3 years of undergraduate coursework at the U of MN working towards a B.A. in Chemistry prior to entering pharmacy school.  My rotation journey thus far has included Cub Pharmacy, Fairview Riverside Psychiatry, Coborns Pharmacy, Walgreens Management, and now landing me with MPhA!  I’m so excited that I was assigned this rotation, because it provides a learning experience that is not realized throughout the pharmacy curriculum. 

My future plans in pharmacy absolutely lie within MTM.  I am currently interviewing for a position with Walgreens pharmacy (who currently has a big MTM initiative!), a company I have been dedicated to for the last 5 years.  Before I have faculty rolling their eyes, I am also working on a proposal to initiate MTM services at Ridgeview Medical Center Clinics in the western suburbs – or basically, creating my own “residency” if that pleases everyone!  Presently Stephanie Svoboda, the director of Pharmacy at Ridgeview, and I are working hard on the financial aspect of the proposal – so feel free to comment with feedback!

I can’t say I am “back” in the office starting off week 2, since I was never in the office during week 1!  My rotation started out with Julie proclaiming, “pack your bags for the week!”   I was lucky enough to travel around rural Minnesota for MPhA 2010 Fall Pharmacy Nights/Mornings with Julie Johnson and Brent Thompson.  The week started off driving up to Thief River Falls to which President Brent Thompson chuckled when he learned I was staring out my window the whole time looking for moose. 

After listening to the same presentations repeatedly 6 times, one would think I would be bored.  However, I learned something new each time – perhaps meaning I should work on my listening skills for the first time around!  Molly Ekstrand, an MTM pharmacist at Fairview, provided a beautiful lecture on Asthma Updates.  The most valuable information I acquired from the presentation was CFC to HFA inhaler transitions and differences as well as the Minnesota Community Measurements for asthma care.  I also learned about new state and federal issues from 2010.  Being passionate about MTM, some of the most important issues for me to follow are MTM via Interactive video and MTM in Health Care Reform.  Health Care Reform offers pharmacists an exciting and expanded role in this new health care model.  The model includes a MTM grant program which would be instrumental in starting up practices like the one I am working on with Ridgeview!  Another hot topic of discussion was the State Board Rules Package changes.  I quickly realized that even I can be involved at this level and write a letter to the Board about any rule changes I don’t agree with!  One proposed rule change I am planning on writing a letter about is changing the minimum technician age to 18 years old.  I think working in this setting at a young age propels students to explore pharmacy as a career. 

The best part of the trip was getting to know Julie and Brent and networking with MPhA members including people from the Board of Pharmacy and pharmacists in various rural settings.  I was able to help with registration and got some “networking” in during social hour before and, of course, after the events!

Things I would like to see during the rest of my time here at MPhA include visiting the capitol (since last time I was there was in middle school), attending hearings, and researching MTM billing to provide a structured process to help pharmacists implement MTM in their setting. 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to MPhA. Happy to have you on board. We need to move towards having pharmacists be recognized as independent providers of care. i.e. can a pharmacist provide MTMS without being affiliated with a pharmacy or clinic? i look fwd to meeting you in person.

    Cheng Lo

    ReplyDelete