Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Greetings Readers of the MPhA Blog


My name is Zachary Wyman, I am a 4th year student from the University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy. I am originally from Lakeville, the best city in Minnesota.
I have had a great time on this rotation so far, meeting the new staff that is supporting MPhA. Everyone is so friendly around here and it has been great having wonderful conversations about why J.Crew is better than Banana Republic and why the Lakeville South Ski team that I coach is going to beat the Minnetonka skippers this year.  Okay, enough about the getting to know the people. You can tell that this is a great environment to work in and after only one week, I am excited to have a rotation where you get to do some many interesting things and experience so many opportunities that are unique to pharmacy that you usually do not experience in other settings.
I was excited to be able to work on AWARxE while I am here at MPhA.  We had a meeting with the Minnesota Pharmacists Foundation (MPF) and we were able to update MPF on where we are at with our middle school presentations and it was great to have the support from MPF and where we are going with the student lead presentations. It was also fun that I was given the opportunity to speak at MPSA (Minnesota Pharmacy Student Alliance) at the College of Pharmacy. It is great to see that so many students are excited to join the campaign and offer help. If you would like more information about the AWARxE Campaign or would like to help give a presentation, go to AWARERX.org for more information.  AWARxE is a huge passion of mine and I hope that others will be passionate about it also or find something else within pharmacy that gives then passion. 
One thing that was eye opening to me this week was the breakfast that we had at the Town and Country Club with new elected legislative members Amy Koch, Senate Majority Leader-Elect and Kurt Zeller, Speaker of the House-Designate. I am not the smarted when it comes to politics and the legislature so it was really interesting to me to be able to participate in the breakfast and listen to the speakers about the upcoming legislative session. I hope to learn more about the process next week and hope to blog about my experiences. I am looking forward to being able to learn how to be a better advocate at the capital and to my representatives in my district.  
Thanks for reading my blog, more to come next week, Thanksgiving Edition. There will be more things about AWARxE also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment