Monday, January 21, 2013

Introducing Brittany Karns

-->
Introducing Brittany Karns:
I was born and raised in Fairbanks, Alaska, and am the oldest of three. I worked as a pharmacy technician and then intern for six summers at Chief Andrew Isaac Health Center in Fairbanks, an Indian Health Service clinic that serves Alaskan Natives in the northern half of the state. I did my first year of undergrad at Oregon State University in Corvallis and then moved back home and finished up at University of Alaska, Fairbanks. I was very excited to get accepted to Pharmacy School at the University of Minnesota, and I have especially enjoyed being on the beautiful Duluth campus, where my intimate class of about 55 has become my true second family.
While at the COPD I really focused on expanding my leadership abilities. I am most proud of serving as the Minnesota Pharmacy Student Alliance co-president, being re-elected as my Class Representative four successive years, and, most recently, finishing a term as Region V Delegate to the American Pharmacists Association Academy of Student Pharmacists. I also served as the UMD PharmD Fundraising Chair, Leadership Ambassador, was the teaching assistant for Leading Change in Pharmacy II, and sat on a number of committees in College Board. My PharmD IV Paper, The Minnesota Pharmacist Practitioner, focused on states and federal institutions that allow pharmacist prescribing and reviewed recommended updates to the Minnesota Pharmacy Practice Act.
I have had a very amazing set of rotations so far this year, starting with the healthcare policy elective in Germany along with seven of my Duluth classmates, which was one of the most exciting and unique experiences I could have asked for. I have also completed rotations at GuidePoint Pharmacy with Laurie Schwartzwald and just finished a three-block acute care rotation at the University of Minnesota Medical Center. I have a strong interest in political advocacy, policy development, and public health and I am very excited to be here at MPhA! I have also been asked to serve as the chair for the New Business Review Committee at the upcoming APhA Annual Meeting in Las Angeles, which I am very excited about.
I hope to go on to pursue a position as a clinical pharmacist and continue expanding pharmacy practice opportunities. I also hope to serve on my state pharmacists organization. While I think it’s likely I will return to Alaska, I have not yet figured out if it will be sooner or later. I enjoy cross-country skiing, snowboarding, travelling, reading, and socializing. My Strengthsfinder 2.0 signature themes are Connectedness, Includer, Developer, Intellection, and Input. If any of you come to visit Alaska – look me up, I would love to show you around!

No comments:

Post a Comment