Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Report from the Capitol

Happy Friday MPhA! I’m writing to you from the rotunda of the Minnesota State Capitol Building, where a Special Legislative Session was just adjourned.  As you may or may not know, Governor Mark Dayton recently approved this special session in order to address the disaster relief needs of those affected by this summer’s Northland storms and flooding.

Although I’ve watched legislative sessions on television before (I do watch other things as well, I promise), this was the first time I had attended a live session at the MN State Legislature.  

The session I attended was the Senate session starting at two 'clock in the afternoon.  Shortly after the session started, a half-hour break was called during which we waited for the results of the House session on the Disaster Relief Bill.  When the Senate reconvened, it was announced that the House had approved the bill, which provides about 167.5 million dollars to communities affected by this summer’s natural disaster.  Among the many provisions in the bill was financial aid for transportation systems, displaced families, as well as  “Quick Start” program to help makes homes severely affected by the disaster livable again.  After several readings of the bill and testimonials, the bill also passed the Senate after a 60-7 vote.

I am so glad that I had the chance to observe this session during my rotation with MPhA.  Not only did I appreciate the opportunity to witness the proceedings of a Senate session from start to finish, but I also had a lot of fun watching the different legislators from atop the Senate gallery, including my own senator from Falcon Heights.  As I watched them whispering to and catching up with their friends, and being asked to quiet down several times by the Senate president, I couldn’t help being reminded of a classroom of eager young kids, or for that matter, a classroom of eager young pharmacy students!  

Another great experience that I had today was the opportunity to go to the Upsher-Smith Headquarters in Maple Grove, MN, in order to attend the MPhA Board of Directors Retreat and Orientation.  I not only got to learn more about the role of the Board of Directors at this meeting, and participate in a fun painting activity planned by MPhA’s new president Martin Erickson, but I also got to learn about our hosts as well.  The folks at Upsher-Smith were very gracious, and a few of the pharmacists working for the company, which was actually founded by a pharmacist back in 1919, even joined us for lunch. 

Oh, how the time flies! I am sad to say that I only have one more week remaining in this rotation, but I am looking forward to a great last week with MPhA!

No comments:

Post a Comment