Thursday, August 9, 2012

MPhA Welcomes Nada Abou-Karam

Hello MPhA blog followers! My name is Nada Abou-Karam and I am a fourth-year pharmacy student at the University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy. I am currently on a 5-week Leadership rotation with MPhA’s Executive Vice President Julie Johnson. During this rotation I will be learning all about MPhA and what it takes to run this great association, and each week I’ll use this blog to update you about my experiences. I’ll start by telling you a little about myself.

I was born and raised in the Twin Cities and currently live with my family in Falcon Heights, MN. I am the middle child in a family of three children, and I have one younger brother and one older sister. I am a second-generation American; my parents were both born in Alexandria, Egypt (a gorgeous port city on the Mediterranean Sea) and came to MN in the 1980s. My family still visits Egypt every few years to vacation and spend time with relatives. I actually just spent a wonderful 3 weeks there this past July! My hometown, however, is our beautiful state capitol of St. Paul. In middle school my family moved to Roseville, MN, and I attended Roseville Area High School. I then attended the University of Minnesota for my undergraduate coursework, and started at the UMN College of Pharmacy in 2009.

When I’m not studying, working as a Medication Reconciliation Pharmacy Intern, or doing something for the many great pharmacy student organizations I have been lucky enough to be a part of, I enjoy reading for pleasure (especially short stories and historical fiction), running, and playing/watching basketball. I also enjoy keeping up with local and international news, and you can often find me holding a newspaper or scrolling through my Twitter feed to find the latest news update.

Well, now that I’ve told you a little about myself, I’ll share with you my favorite experience thus far on my MPhA rotation. Although I’ve attended several interesting meetings with Julie this week, and gained insight into the structure of MPhA and the many of the services offered to MPhA members, my favorite experience was actually a talk I had with Julie just yesterday, when I got to learn about the amazing history of the association. Did you know that MPhA has been around since 1883?!? The idea for the organization started with a group of 12 Minnesota druggists who wanted an association to promote pharmacy, and to begin to frame pharmacy law. This was before the development of the Board of Pharmacy and the College of Pharmacy! The history-lover in me was fascinated by what I learned, and now I’m reading A Century of Service and Leadership: The History of the Minnesota Pharmacists Association. Check it out if you get a chance, and check out my next blog as well!

Nada Abou-karam
University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy
Pharm. D. Class of 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment