Monday, August 13, 2012

Why I Chose This Rotation

Hello again MPhA! This is Nada Abou-Karam, soon-to-be-pharmacist on rotation with MPhA’s Julie Johnson. I’ve just completed my second week of rotation and I am learning so much about MPhA, and gaining more and more appreciation for this amazing association. In my last blog post I told you about my background, and now I’d like to share with you a little bit about why I’m on this rotation, and discuss one of my favorite topics: leadership!

As you may or may not know, the College of Pharmacy at the University of Minnesota offers students the opportunity to graduate with emphasis in the area of leadership. At the end of my first year in the PharmD program I decided to pursue the LEA (Leadership Emphasis Area), because I was convinced that not only did I want to help lead positive change in pharmacy, but that I wanted to develop personal leadership skills as well.  After the many discussions and activities I have had surrounding leadership, and as I continue to learn more about this vast topic, I am convinced that leadership is not something for a select few, but something that everyone should try to pursue!

What does the LEA entail, you might ask? In brief (well sort of): two Leading Change in Pharmacy courses, one management course, one Leading Change Project, one Leadership Portfolio course, four leadership books, one research project relating to leadership, and one fourth-year rotation with a focus on leadership in pharmacy.  If this sounds like a lot, it is. However, it has been absolutely worth it, as I am learning a great deal about myself on this journey, and about my strengths and ability to lead positive change. 

When I was asked to choose my preference for a leadership rotation, choosing MPhA was a no brainer. What better way is there to lead change than through MPhA’s principal activities, policy development and legislative advocacy? 

What are your opinions on leadership? Do you want to improve as a leader? Here is some food for thought:

Is management the same as leadership? What is non-positional leadership? Are there “dangers” associated with leading? 

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment