Tuesday, September 18, 2012

MPhA Welcomes Zach Merk!

Untitled Document Hello all!  My name is Zach Merk, the next of Julie Johnson’s fourth year pharmacy student bloggers. One of the first things that I noticed when I started this rotation was the list of names of Julie’s white board. What an illustrious list of names. I was surprised at both how many names I recognized, and how many of those names that I viewed as leaders of our profession. I hope that I am able to someday further this tradition. 

Since we will be spending a few weeks together, allow me to share a little bit of my background with you.  I grew up in rural southwest Iowa, and moved to Wisconsin when I was 15. I finished high school there and went to UW- Stout for undergrad.  I served in the Army National Guard for nine years, and deployed to Iraq for 18 months with the Infantry half-way through my BS in Applied Science. Upon completion of undergrad, I chose to take a year off and move to San Diego; the beach had been calling my name for a number of years already. Having soaked up enough sun, for now at least, I traveled back to the frozen tundra and prepared for pharmacy school at the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities. I now find myself pursuing the Leadership Emphasis Area, which has lent me the opportunity to choose this rotation as my leadership APPE.

I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect on this rotation. I suspected that I would spend some time at the capitol, attend a number of meetings, and take some time to learn about how to advocate for my profession. Already this week, I have made minor contributions towards the MPhA journal coming out in September, updated presentations for AWARxE, participated in meetings and phone conferences, and learned a lot about MPhA and what it means to advocate for the profession full time. I am looking forward to the opportunities with MPhA that already checker my upcoming calendar. Plus, I’ve got my own desk and work space, which is pretty luxurious for an APPE student!

No comments:

Post a Comment