Friday, October 19, 2012

Pharmacy Nights, Immunizations, and Legislative Issues


It’s already Friday… and two weeks with MPhA have flown by! I’ve had the opportunity to attend two Pharmacy Nights in Rochester and Alexandria. It has been wonderful meeting pharmacists throughout the state and everyone has enjoyed the Minnesota Department of Health Immunization presentation. On Wednesday (Oct. 17) I attended a Minnesota Coalition for Adult Immunization meeting. I was proud to report the strides pharmacists are making to increase immunization awareness and education. Pharmacists now give 20% of flu shots! Last Saturday I helped train 30 new immunizers. It is great to see so many pharmacists interested in joining the immunizing team! I encourage all pharmacists to keep up-to-date on current recommendations and schedules, as we are an important source of information and champion of immunizations.
This morning Julie Johnson and I met with Bethany Snyder, Senator Al Franken’s liaison for health issues in Minnesota, and spoke with Hannah Katch, the senator’s health policy advisor in DC. They were interested in learning more about MPhA and our legislative priorities. We spent a great amount of time discussing the recent fungal meningitis outbreak and issues surrounding compounding. I have worked hard to educate myself about this issue over the past couple of weeks. This situation has shown me how quickly things can come up and that it is important for the association to be as informed and engaged as possible. The outbreak is tragic and I think everyone in the profession extends their sympathies and is motivated to work together to do what we can to prevent any similar events in the future. I am amazed at how quickly the professional organizations and associations have responded and begun working together. Some may view this as a black mark for pharmacy — but I am confident that this will only highlight our professionalism and desire to deliver the highest quality of patient care.
I am learning about new things every day and I cannot wait to see what the coming weeks will bring!
Alyssa Ferrie

No comments:

Post a Comment