Tuesday, November 13, 2012

MPhA Welcomes Melissa Katzenberger

Untitled Document

Hello Readers! My name is Melissa Katzenberger and I am the next of Julie Johnson’s fourth-year pharmacy student bloggers! This is my leadership and administrative APPE rotation as a part of the Leadership Emphasis Area (LEA) through the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. Over the next five weeks, I will be keeping you updated and engaged in the latest activities at the Minnesota Pharmacists Association (MPhA). At the end of each week, I will post a blog to share my experiences and insights with you. Stay tuned! I am excited to work with Julie, her staff, and Ewald Consulting as I spend my time with MPhA engaging in public policy, attending executive committee meetings, participating in symposiums and events hosted by MPhA, and learning how to further advocate for the profession of pharmacy!  I have already met many wonderful people and I look forward to working with everyone!

To start, I would like to share my story with you!  I was born and raised in Waukesha, WI, which is located just west of Milwaukee. My father, Rich, is the owner of two independent pharmacies in Waukesha and my mother, Judy, is an OB/GYN nurse. My middle brother, Dan, is a second-year pharmacy student at the University of Wisconsin - Madison, and my youngest brother, Dave, is working for UPS.  My family is certainly medically oriented, which makes the dinner conversations interesting! Throughout high school and my childhood, I was active in sports and band. I led our 200 member marching band in the 2004 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City as the lead drum major. I enjoyed playing soccer, basketball, and participating in track as a sprinter and pole vaulter.  This past summer I branched out to playing softball and had a blast!  In 2009, I graduated from Viterbo University in La Crosse, WI, with my Bachelor’s of Science degree in biology with minors in chemistry and Spanish. I love to travel and spend time outdoors! I enjoy kayaking, biking, roller blading, hiking, and skiing. I love to cook, especially new recipes, and one of my hidden talents is singing.

I am eager to learn about opportunities available for members of MPhA to become involved in advocating for our profession and advancing pharmacist-delivered health care.  Not to mention, I am super excited about having my own desk and work area! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment