Thursday, February 17, 2011

A new face at MPhA


Yet another new face with MPhA!  I’m Alison Knutson, a recent graduate of the University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy.  I am now completing the Pharmaceutical Care Leadership Residency at the U of M.  A large component of this program focuses on impacting change within the profession, and I truly believe the most effective way to effect change is through professional advocacy.  I have the opportunity to spend 5 weeks with MPhA, meeting with legislators, reviewing proposed legislation, discussing and debating the constantly changing hot topics.  And of course (this year in particular), debating the financial aspect of all decisions made at the state level.  It has been easy to discuss pharmacy from the financial perspective, because pharmacy has been shown to decrease overall healthcare cost.  In my short one week, we have met with newly elected and re-elected legislators with a broad spectrum of backgrounds (the main differentiation being healthcare vs. non-healthcare background).  I’m looking forward to when more legislation is introduced, and the continuing discussions to follow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment