Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Anusha Raju, Week 2

My second week at MPhA was a great learning experience regarding the capital and organizations that reach out to MPhA as partners. I took a tour of the capital on Monday to get oriented to the area. Much of the history behind the paintings and the building was very interesting. There was also a lot of social workers there rallying for sensitive topics and legislation – needless to say, it was quite loud! (I was disappointed to find out that pharmacists weren’t nearly as loud.) I also got to spend most of the day Thursday at the capital with Matt. He gave me the inside scoop. It’s so interesting to see such a different perspective from a lobbyist; and a lobbyist that believes in the profession on pharmacy. He gave me a lot of insight in all of my questions. We also got to talk more about the bills that we are watching for this week: the e-prescribing of controlled substances and the PBM bill. I also got to listen in on a phone call meeting with the PBMs to work out much of the policies and wording on the bill, to come to an agreement. That was a little frustrating for me because I can be opinionated, and I wanted to give input on the meeting. It was good that I stayed out of it though, because it’s better that the bill just passes on mutual agreements.

We also got to talk with some organizations that are interested in working with MPhA. I didn’t realize how much this happens – but it’s great that various groups are seeking the expertise of pharmacists. One of the groups actually had no idea what pharmacists were capable of, and they were very excited to use this avenue to help work toward their mission. Overall, it’s been a great week of spreading the message of pharmacy. Coming up – Pharmacy Nights!

No comments:

Post a Comment