Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pharmacy Advocacy

Untitled Document This week I traveled up to Duluth with Julie for Pharmacy Nights. We heard Brent Thompson talk about the Pharmacy Practice Act Working Group’s progress.  If you haven’t heard about this yet, there is a group who is currently going through the Minnesota pharmacy practice act line by line and making suggestions for change to modernize it. The intent is to ensure that pharmacists in the future have a wider scope of practice that enables them to fully participate in a changing health care model. Tiffany Elton alerted us to the methadone abuse situation in Duluth, and the Department of Health educated us all about immunizations.

On Thursday, I attended my first MPhA Board of Directors meeting. This was a great opportunity to learn more about how the matters that affect pharmacy in Minnesota are dealt with. Earlier that same day, I attended an MPhA financial meeting, during which I learned about the different sources of funding and expenses of MPhA.

This week at MPhA has given me a more in depth view of pharmacy advocacy that I’m sure will benefit me in my future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment